Monday, August 13, 2012

Meet my best friend!


Animals are a big part of my life and always have been. All my life, I've wanted to be a veterinarian. I have always had a want to help animals and save their life. Many animals are beaten, neglected, killed, etc. I want to be the person to stop all of that. I know I can't change the world and I can't get rid of evil..but at least I can save a life one animal at a time and work towards making the world a little better.


               So to continue on, I would like everyone to know the story of how I met my best friend Tala. I had been praying and praying for a German Shepard for years with the doubt of ever having another german shepard again. But then, unexpectedly, Tala came along. She came into my life about 2 years ago when a close family friend (Diana) who was head of an animal rescue, emailed us her weekly list of dogs that were due to be euthanized the next day if not rescued. On the list were many dogs, all different ages and sizes but one stood out the most. My mom saw Tala's picture, and thought about her all day and all night until the next day. She didn't know what to do. She thought if she brought another dog home, my dad would probably kick her out of the house. But then she knew my dad had a soft spot for german shepards. Ever since his police k-9, they have always been his favorite. Time was running out now. It was the day an amazing dog with the best personality and sweetest disposition would be euthanized and take her last breath. My mom decided to give Diana a call. Diana said she would contact the shelter to get the status on Tala. We waited an agonizing 10 minutes to find out if Tala has made it or not. We got extremely lucky. Tala was an hour away from her death. Diana called the shelter right on time. One phone call, changed everything. Diana picked up Tala (as well as a few other dogs who were due to die) and we met up with her. That was the day I met my best friend. Tala is one of the most loyal, smart, and funniest dog I have ever known. Just thinking that her life could have ended that day breaks my heart because I can't imagine my life without her. When we first brought her home, she took the newspaper inside our house. She also jumped up on my parents bed and cuddled up to my dad. Now who can resist a dog that does that? My dad couldn't even resist her. It was shocking to actually see him warm up to her so easily instead of getting mad at the fact that we brought a dog home. Tala acted like she knew us her whole life. She stole everyone's heart. It was as if everything was meant to be. Tala may be an older dog, but she has many years left on her and I'm so happy to be able to give her another chance at life and make the rest of her life the best it can possibly be. 




Don't shop. Adopt. 
Save a life. 
Some of the best dogs are shelter dogs. 
If you help to give an animal another chance at life, they will give back to you tenfold. 
I guarantee it. 


need help finding your local shelter? I provided a link that can help you locate it.










1 comment:

  1. Hello Tala!!
    We love our old boy- Bentley, he's a 12 year old yellow lab.
    We're shepherd fans here too, so I'm sure there's one out there for us :)

    ReplyDelete